Thursday, September 23, 2010

$2 Sabol cases

A recent article by Blood of Kittens nicely presents what I have thought about Battlefoam for a while now. Go figure BoK. So instead of using these nice, but overpriced products, surprise surprise, I am going a much cheaper route.

I generally like the Sabol design, the size works well for many of the smaller skirmish games that I play and I find that the foam packs away much better at cramped tables during tournaments. There is nothing worse than tripping over the huge cases of whoever is playing behind me - seriously, do we ALL need to bring luggage to our games?

I am very careful with my models and pack them away slowly and carefully. 
But I really don't spend much time (or money) on what I am carrying them in. Granted if I was traveling on an airplane, it would be a much different story, but I'm not, at most I am throwing them in my trunk and driving for an hour or so. For this, I have found the perfect bag to store my Sabol foam in:

I bought this little guy for $1 at the Shaws across the street. Sometimes you can even pick them up for free. Regardless, the Sabol foam trays fit perfectly inside them and stack 3 or 4 high, depending on the thickness of the foam. Now I went cheap and got the Shaws brand, but you can buy these from almost anywhere, hell you can even get custom designs printed up on them. If you buy them in bulk (10,000+) they will only cost you $.59, but you will probably want to splurge and get at least a few colours on them. I suggest a picture of a pretty unicorn so people know you are badass and that you came to rock them. You could sell them their own bag right afterwards.

ANYWAY


I carry and store my whole mech IG army in two of these bags. Sure they aren't strong, but they sure are cheap! Plus, it is much cooler in my mind to be walking around with a few shopping bags than to be carrying a massive rolling foam tray case around everywhere you go. Now I just need to figure out a cheap carrying case for my blood bowl mini's. Maybe these?

4 comments: